Wednesday, November 18, 2009

A pre-halloween trial run.

One of the many wonderful things about living in Cleveland is Delta State. I can remember Granddaddy taking me to basketball games at Walter-Sillers Coliseum, and pep rallies on the Quad. What a fantastic childhood was spent with cousins taking up residency for weeks/months at a time at Grandmama and Granddaddy’s house, riding our bikes to Delta State, eating in the Union, buying RC’s in the double quick across the street from campus, or sneaking around in the gym with Catherine and Stephen. We played racquetball and basketball, swam in the natatorium and, way back in the day, would play in the gymnastics room. I remember many debates over who would keep up with the activity card, who had it last, who got to use it, the boys or girls. The green, then pink, activity card (and any temporary replacements that may have been used) were well worn by the time we quit taking our summer sabbaticals. It is hard to imagine that a laminated piece of paper the size of a credit card could conjure up so many memories. I imagine if I ever stumbled across it at Grandmama’s house it would bring an immediate warmth to my heart, smile to my face and tears to my eyes. I say all that to introduce our Halloween trial run. The sororities and fraternities at Delta State host a Halloween carnival for kids in the community and Holt has gone the past two years. It is nice, b/c somehow we end up with multiple costumes each year. Surprisingly, Holt only had one this year, but Harper Ann was the chosen one with two (my mom couldn’t pass up the adorable ladybug costume after I had already purchased her Horse costume weeks before). How does that have to do with the lengthy introduction you ask? Well, I spent four years at Delta State and went to the gym regularly, Jonathan and I played basketball in that gym, we actually “met” in a tennis class in that gym, and I participated in most intramurals. However, when I walk into Wyatt gym and the smell of towels, sweat, and cleaning products hits my nose, and the bright lights reflecting off the floor squints my eyes, and the sounds of tennis shoes squeaking against the floor and racquetballs hitting the walls echo in my ears, I am always paused for just a moment with memories of my childhood. I hope Holt and Harper Ann grow up with their own wonderful memories of Delta State, not the least of which will be dressing up on Halloween and going to Wyatt gym. Thanks for indulging my walk down memory lane, now on to the pictures...

Holt wouldn't let me wash his face that night, lest the baseball be removed too soon.
Holt and his backwards cap.
Our possessed little ladybug.
My angels on the heathen holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment